Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ears and Christmas Gifts

Writing that other story made me think of two other ones that are too good not to mention. I should preface these stories with the fact that I was a really annoying little sister. I loved to hang out in Abra's room, bother her friends whenever they were over, and touch/ cuddle her whenever she was in "no-touchy" mood. So please imagine an obnoxious, blonder/ shorter version of myself whenever I am describing these stories.

The first one is simple. I have no idea how old I was. I think I was around 9 or 10 and was hanging out at my mom and dad's vet clinic after school or on a Saturday. I am going to be completely vague because the where and the when don't really matter.

My sister comes into the clinic with my mom. They just got back from College Station (the mecca of all hip and cool things at this time in my life), and Abra is proudly displaying a newly pierced set of ears. She has her hair tucked behind her ears and is waving her head around in front of me trying to get me to notice without saying anything.

"Notice anything different," she says still shaking her head back and forth.

I study her, and then finally notice her new ear holes. But then in all my brilliance I reply excitedly, "Abra, you have EARS!"

Yay, me (please feel free to giggle because I'm smiling just remembering it).

Okay, the other story is short and sweet too. I was around the same age. It's Christmas time. My sister's best friend is name Karen (and is kinda my idol to a certain extent). Abra has purchased her a gift and wrapped it.

I walk into Abra's room. See the gift. Pick it up. And then I ask, "Abra, have you given this to Karen yet?"

Abra just looks at me like "Rachel think about that statement." It was definitely a "here's your sign" moment. I sheepishly realize my mistake that if she had given it to her it wouldn't be neatly wrapped and sitting in her room, and if I recall correctly, I did the classic quiet replacement of the gift and walked softly backwards out of her room pretending it never happened.

There are two stories that speak volumes about me, and my relationship with my sister. No wonder she still asks me if I have money if we ever go out anywhere together.

Love ya sis.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel - I don't know how I stumbled onto your blog today, but some googling surfacing, facebooking, and stalking and voila! Here I am!

    Has anyone ever told you that you are an absolutely delightful writer? Not only do you use excellent grammar (side note, do you "have" or "use" grammar?), but I can hear you telling all of these stories, and almost see your facial expressions through the words.

    I know the job situation has been pretty rough, and plenty of people have probably given you advice - I'm not going to do that. I just want you to know that I will gladly eat ice cream with you over the phone anytime you want. AND - I finally got cable and now everytime I see "DeGrassi" on the listings, I think of you.

    Hope to see you soon!
    Krupa

    ReplyDelete