So I read this on Susie's blog and loved it. So I'm going to be a complete copy cat but isn't imitation the most sincere form of flattery.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Moved across the country, experienced a white Christmas, got engaged, lived in sin :)
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? The only resolution I kept from last year was to read 40 books. I counted up how many books I read and it was 37...but I'm counting it even if I did count the books I just reread. I'm setting more goals this year than anything such as dressing cooler (I know lame), being more web savvy, and being more proactive about art (such as knitting, writing, etc.)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, but I'm super ready my sister to start having kids even if it is in a couple years
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my dad's dad - Papa. I lived with him one summer in high school. I really miss him. There house just doesn't feel the same.
5. What countries did you visit? None.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More action less worrying. I feel like in 2008 I worried a lot about things without taking action until October 3rd. I want to feel more in control about my life and future and start really laying out carreer and financial goals.
7. What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 18th - realized I really hated my job, June 24th - Dale moved to Minneapolis, October 3rd - moved to Minneapolis, November 1st - Dale asked me to marry him
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Having enough guts to make a decision about moving and quitting my job and not giving up when my boss was a complete jerk
9. What was your biggest failure? I don't like to look it as a failure but last year I wanted to be more health conscious and more physically active. I was until Dale left. I just want that same committment and to succeed this year.
10. Did you suffer any illness or injury? I hurt my back during NIWeek but it was fine.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our plane ticket home for the holidays...it was nice seeing everyone
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Dale for going through some tough times at work and striving to always be creative and inspired (I really admire that), my mom for being so understanding about me moving and so supportive through the whole process
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The voters of California, a certain sibling who won't speak to his mother,
14. Where did most of your money go? Moving
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Getting engaged! Moving! Dale and I starting our life together
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? I don't know the name of it but Dale put it on our moving playlist and it has a guy singing in a deep voice "We'll be living with our hearts on fire"...he knows what I'm talking about
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:i. happier or sadder? ii. thinner or fatter? I am definitely happier. Last year I was worried about Dale moving off to NY or SF, and I am also definitely fatter. Unemployment has not been good to me, but I am currently working on that.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Physical activity, reading, creating, exploring
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Watching TV
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Christmas in Texas at my parent's house and then traveled to all of Dale's families' homes
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? Yes. Over and over again.
23. How many one-night stands? None.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Surprisingly Gilmore Girls...I know I'm like 5 years late
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don't like the word hate. I am more disappointed with some people.
26. What was the best book you read? The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Little Lame Prince
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Birds and the Bee
28. What did you want and get? A home with Dale
29. What did you want and not get? a really satisfying job
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Man on Wire (I think it came out in 2007 but I just saw it...it was amazing)
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went to College Station. I turned 23.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting hired by some publishing house with so much money they don't know what to do with it on October 5th
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Pretty much the same as it’s always been- boring. I think I looked a little drab and too casual. Too many jeans, flip-flops and T-shirts. I am definitely stepping it up for 2009.
34. What kept you sane? Dale, my mom, and doing that play last spring
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Lately I've really liked Maggie Gyllenhaal..and I'm ashamed to say Daniel Radcliffe (it is only because he is Harry Potter)
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The presidential election was this year. Mostly because I feel conservatives (which I consider myself one) completely overreacted to Obama winning (the world isn't going to end and I sincerely think he wants to better the U.S.).
37. Who did you miss? People at NI (mostly Corey), my family, Susie and John, Jenni
38. Who was the best new person you met? Esther Porter from Coffee House Press - I met her for an informational interview and could have chatted with her all day, Liem - hopefully he will give me a job
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: being in love is easier than you want to make it and sometimes you have to work in the muck to work in the palace
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: (this is my favorite quote and I always use it but it seems to always say what I mean)
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then? I cannot say.
Monthly Challenge #7: Become a Morning Person
5 hours ago