Monday, January 26, 2009

Congrats Neil!


Last Friday, I reread one of my all time favorite books - Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I have read and reread this book probably more than 15 times. It is a simple story of Tristan Thorne traveling to find a fallen star to give to his true love. With dark overtones and fanciful characters, this fairy tale weaves a compelling story of integrity, romance, and adventure.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who appreciates a good fairy tale or enjoys fantasy in its purest form. However, do not be persuaded to watch the movie in lieu of reading the book because while I love Claire Danes, she should have turned down this role. This watered down commercialized version of this fairy tale completely leaves out all the unique language and tone of the original masterpiece.

Also strangely enough, this morning I read that Neil Gaiman received the Newbery medal for his book The Graveyard Book which I have not read yet but will definitely have to pick up. So this is my congratulations to Neil Gaiman author of my favorite book!

No comments:

Post a Comment